From my Crit with Stan (YS)


These are the posters I presented during our critique on Tuesday.
First of all, to point out some of my most basic mistakes, I am missing a scale in my drawings and my elevations lack information of materiality. I will also be redoing all four of my renders in different views that are able to better communicate my design.

Stan, as did Vince previously, pointed out that my overall design was too preoccupied with the plan. As my intent was to create a concentrated space providing maximum workspace which required minimum movement, I had created somewhat of a circular plan, which resulted in the formation of a series of awkward spaces.

From the very entrance of my studio, a sense of tightness in space is prominently delivered as the curvature of my hallway further restricted the already narrow space. Also, the washroom and resting area (which was intended to be some kind of a window seat) was shoved into an inconvenient crescent moon shape. This barely provided enough space in both areas for a person to sit. My little set of curvy stairs leading to the desk space was also criticized to be hazardous and just really inconvenient. Finally, the desk area was said to be too restricting to one specific use. Stan pointed out that the author/illustrator would need to have a larger linear span for desk space that accommodated for large sheets of paper for illustrations. However, with my circular desk, it would be very inconvenient to spread out large pieces of paper.

The general aesthetics of my design were also quite awkward. I had way too many windows and many of them looked randomly placed. Also, my design was basically a series of extrusions as, once again, I was too preoccupied with the form of my plan.

Overall, I need to concentrate on creating a space that can meet the comforts of the author, which can really be anyone. I need to further develop my design so that it can be more flexible to meet different people's comforts -- the circular desk seems to be comfortable only in my standards :(

1 comment:

  1. Followup:
    -materiality is a fairly important component in all students' designs at this phase; given your lecture on construction materials and methods, this should come as fairly easy to you now; we can discuss to appropriately detail at a desk review
    -circular plans tend to create awkward spaces but it is in validating the benefits as outweighing these awkward instances that will empower you to do a better project
    -though the comments about the awkward/constricted nature of the space are appropriate, you should consider the nature of work that would actually be done in the studio; is it solely pen/pencil on paper or are computers involved?; the romanticized idea of the past with the author/illustrator doing things by hand may be an anachronism moving forward; could the space not be progressive in that regard?
    -sight lines are important to consider when putting windows in a building; windows do not simply let light in, but also are responsible for letting views in and out; in this compact design, focus on quality rather than quantity; windows should be done sparingly
    -your montages look awkward given the near-glowing material properties of the rendered elements; not only will you have to figure out the material you will be making the building out of but you will also need to find context imagery that complements the light settings you have for your rendered building; worst case scenario, you will adjust the levels in Photoshop to ensure that there is a greater integration of the rendered piece with the context
    -the exterior images should show not only different views but different times/seasons as there is a degree of redundancy that does not help you

    ReplyDelete